spacer spacer spacer
spacer spacer
Office of International Services

J-2 Employment Authorization

Under the current regulations, individuals who are present in the U.S. under the J-2 status are eligible for employment authorization. J-2 dependents wishing to work in the U.S. must first apply for the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In order to complete the application process you will need the following:

  • Form G-1145

  • A completed Form I-765. The eligibility category for question # 16 is (C)(5)

  • 2 Photographs - full color frontal/passport style photographs (find a sample at United States Citizenship and Immigration Services). For more information on photo standards visit the Department of State website or contact the USCIS National Customer Center at 1-800-375-5283

  • A copy of your current form DS-2019 and that of the principal alien's (J-1)

  • Copies of your passport - Biodata page to include passport expiration date, visa and I-94 card front and back; (Color copies are optional)

  • A written statement, with any supporting evidence showing that your employment is not necessary to support the J-1 but is for other purposes e.g. recreational activities. Examples of supporting evidence are: J-1's pay stub and employment letter

  • A check or money order for $410 payable to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

It is not necessary to submit your application materials to OIS. Once completed, please mail all of these documents by certified mail to the following address:

Type of Mail Service:

U.S. Postal Service (USPS) deliveries

Express Mail or courier (i.e. UPS, FedEx, DHL) deliveries

Where Mail to:

PO Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266

Attn: AOS
2501 S. State Hwy 121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067



Copyright 2013, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution.
spacer spacer