spacer spacer spacer
spacer spacer

Office of International Services




Department of State (DOS)

The DOS website contains information about the U.S. State Department. It's an informative resource for travel to countries outside of the U.S. that details immigration documentation requirements. Links to various consulates and embassies are also featured. The search option can be utilized for specific topic query.

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

USCIS is the agency responsible for monitoring the status of nonimmigrants in the U.S. The USCIS website discusses various immigration "hot" topics. Foreign nationals can check the status of pending applications, obtain immigration forms, and read frequently asked questions. Links to other government agencies can be accessed from this site.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

The IRS is a government agency that collects taxes from individuals that reside in the U.S. It has a comprehensive government website that contains extensive tax information; access to tax forms; tax treaties, etc. A search option can be utilized for specific topic query.

Social Security Administration (SSA)

Social Security Administration (SSA) is the agency responsible for the issuance Social Security numbers to individuals who are authorized for employment in the United States . The SSA has a government website individuals can use for information on how to obtain a social security card. Site also features a resources section with links to an electronic newsletter, forms, publications, and topics of interest for individuals to search.

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC)

The MVC website contains information pertaining to motor vehicle laws in the State of NJ and information on how to obtain a driver's license. The MVC also features useful links to permits, tests and the requirements for nonimmigrants.



Legal Resources

American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
Are you looking for an immigration attorney? The American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) is a professional organization of immigration lawyers. The lawyers participating in the referral service are members of AILA and are licensed to practice law in a state or territory of the United States and are currently a member in good standing of a State Bar Association. You will be charged no more than $50 for an initial in-person, one-half-hour consultation.

Click here for a list of attorneys who have worked with RBHS in the past.


Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences requires all international students and scholars to maintain health insurance coverage. Health insurance companies were established to offset the high costs of doctor and hospital visits for individuals by generating a monthly/ annual fee to the insurance provider. Each company has their own policy coverage and determines the costs individually. Click here for a list of health insurance companies that specialize in health coverage for foreign nationals.

Cultural and Learning Opportunities

One to World is a non-profit organization whose mission is to "create global learning opportunities for students, educators and the community in New York City and beyond." It organizes many events and activities throughout the semester. All internationals are invited to participate in these functions.

Are you interested in improving your conversational English? The International Center in NY is an English learning center that offers classes, workshops and one-to-one conversation partnerships for immigrants and foreign-born individuals in the U.S. Membership requires the payment of up to $350 USD per year.

English Language and Writing Resources

If you need assistance in improving or would like to refresh your English language skills there are many organizations and schools providing English as a Second/Foreign Language classes and programs in the areas around the RBHS campuses. Click here for a listing of these resources.

Income Taxes

Tax Back International
Are you under the F or J status and need assistance in preparing your taxes? Tax Back International specializes in "preparing income tax returns for people who travel outside of their home country". They ensure your taxes will be filed according to U.S. tax and immigration regulations. For more information call 1 (888) 203-8900.

Currency Conversion

Yahoo! Finance
The Yahoo currency conversion is used to calculate the currency exchange of most countries using this website. Currency can be identified by three-letter abbreviation or country. Conversions are configured in real time.

Translations/Credential Evaluations

NACES®, National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, founded in 1987, is an association of private foreign educational credential evaluation services. They are committed to the formulation and maintenance of ethical standards in the field of foreign educational evaluation. NACES® members serve foreign-educated persons who have completed part or all of their education outside of the U.S. and are seeking further education, professional licensure, or employment in the U.S. Visit for more information.


Financial Assistance

The International Student Loan Center provides internationals with financial aid and loan information. The International Student Loan Program exists to assist internationals pay for college expenses. Application information, terms of the loan and frequently asked questions are available on this site. Internationals can also find information on phone cards, student insurance, and discount airfare by visiting this site.


Temporary Housing

International Services has put together a listing of hotels that are close to RBHS campuses. This is not a complete list. Additional temporary housing options can be found online, in phone directories or through local tourist information offices.

Long-Term Housing

Below are links to long-term housing resources.

Rutgers Off-Campus Housing




Copyright 2013, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution.
spacer spacer